Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Proudest Moments: getting a little sappy here.

I don't remember it, but I was probably pretty proud of myself when I stopped pooping my diaper and opted instead to use the john.  I live for the day when my boys can share that particular joy.

I was pretty proud of myself when I read for the first time. I recall I was really young, and Mom was over the top excited. But Mom read to us CONSTANTLY and really promoted an interest in learning and a passion for reading. I give her that credit, but I still credit the pooping thing to myself, born solely from the desire to no longer invite a stench everywhere I went.

The truth is there are a lot of milestones I credit to my mom. She's the best. And I like to think that there are and will be some milestones that I have a hand in during my kids early years.

And then I know there are others that will happen with or without my encouragement or teaching.

Last night was a zinger.

Drew started kinder teeball last night. He is 3, and we play teeball a little bit at home, have since before he turned 2. But mostly inside, never any opportunity to throw far or hit hard or run fast.

Last night was the first time Drew played on a team of his peers, on a real field.  He swung hard at the ball and had to fight the instinct to run the bases (it was a batting drill).  Then he lobbed the ball to coaches, at buckets, switching from left hand to right hand, barely able to contain his excitement, his dad having to hold his arm back so he would not throw the ball while the coaches were talking.  During batting drills when he was infield, he ran to every single ball his teammates hit and ran it into home. Every. Single. Ball.  Other 3 year olds tried, and still others stood around looking at birds and kicking dirt, like you would expect 3 year olds to do.  But Drew ran for that ball every time and ran it in, like it was his instinct.

Kid's a natural.  Of all my proud moments from childhood, my post-secondary education, my community work and professional awards, and even having my kids, last night beat them all.  It was Drew's milestone, he did it, Andy and I really had very little to do with it.'

This is by far the greatest feeling I could ever imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment